Dental crowns are generally used to resolve problems related to damaged teeth. It is a very common dental procedure that is availed by millions of people across the world. Though, dental crowns might fall off due to certain reasons. As you might have figured out from the title, we are going to talk about the steps to execute if your dental crown falls off. Emphasis has been also laid on the reasons which might cause this scenario. So, without wasting any further minute, let us address the elephant in the room.
Why does a dental crown become loose?
Some of the primary causes of dental crowns becoming loose or even falling off have been provided in the pointers below.
- Washing away of the cement used to secure the crown
- Not taking proper care of the crown
- Eating a lot of hard and sticky food items
Repetition of these activities for a really long time can definitely take a toll on your crown and ultimately result in it falling off.
Steps to execute before visiting an Emergency Dentist
The first thing to do is calm your nerves. Always remember that there is nothing to worry about. Any sort of challenge or situation can be handled with proper knowledge. The steps to execute are:
- To remove the crown – You should try to remove the loose part of the dental crown. It is essential to keep the area clean. Bring the crown while visiting the dentist for a successful replacement.
- Call a dental clinic – The next step is to book an appointment at your dental clinic. The reason behind it is pretty simple, a broken or damaged crown demands immediate professional attention. You can also look for an emergency dentist (if required).
- Fill the gaps – It is advisable to use dental wax in temporarily filling some of the gaps created to the crown falling off. You should protect the teeth until there is a scope of seeing a dentist.
- Keep everything clean – You should keep the mouth extra clean after the crown falling off. Avoiding the deposition of food debris is a must if you want to protect the exposed tooth. Rinsing your mouth with salt water can be of effective help.
- Try to reduce the pain – The tooth nerves may be exposed once the crown has fallen off. This can be the reason for intolerable pain. Use over-the-counter medications to reduce the pain as much as possible.
- Avoid certain food items – As mentioned before, hard and sticky food items can do serious damage to your crown. It is recommended that you do not eat such food items right after the crown falls off.
Keeping these few steps in mind can help you prevent any further damage and protect the affected tooth.
We hope that you have now gained a clear understanding of what to do if a dental crown falls off. Do not let your shoulders shudder and deal with the situation in an apt manner. In case of any further complications, do not hesitate to get in touch with the best dental office in Plantation, Florida.