“Can coffee make my teeth blackish?” is a very common question that arises in the minds of numerous people. Most of us start our days with a cup of coffee. It consists of caffeine that increases the activity in both your brain and the nervous system. But, have you ever thought that this daily habit can affect your oral health in the long run and hamper the beauty of your smile? If not then now is the time to do so. We are gonna talk about how intake of coffee can be the reason for stains your teeth. Go through the sections below if you have any questions related to the topic.
People say that if something stains your clothes, it can definitely stain your teeth. But, this is not pretty true in the case of drinking coffee. It consists of an ingredient called tannins, also found in other drinks such as tea and wine. Now, tannins are a type of polyphenol that breaks down in the water. You might not be aware of the fact that tannins can cause the color compound to stick on your teeth and leave a yellow hue behind. Therefore, just having a cup of coffee once a day can be enough to make your teeth look yellowish.
How to get rid of coffee stains?
Yellowish stains on your teeth can make your smile look less attractive. To add on, it can also have an impact on your overall appearance and make your feel awkward while talking to others. But, there is nothing to worry about. Adopting a few preventive or undergoing quality treatments can help you get rid of coffee stains and restore your teeth\’ shine. We have provided the tips to get rid of the coffee stains in the pointers below:
- Stains on your teeth can be removed by going for biannual cleaning at a dental clinic.
- Brushing your teeth at least twice a day can be an effective way of keeping your teeth white. Use baking soda to brush your teeth for getting better results.
- Nowadays, there are several teeth whitening products available in the market. You can buy whitening strips or use whitening toothpaste to resolve the problem of yellowish stains on your teeth.
- Last but not the least, undergoing quality teeth whitening treatment at a dental clinic can help to get rid of the yellow or blackish stains on your teeth. Moreover, in-house teeth whitening treatment is much safer and yields more effective results.
Other problems that can be caused due to drinking coffee
Drinking coffee regularly can be a major reason behind the growth of bacteria in your mouth. These bacteria can cause serious dental problems such as enamel erosion and teeth decay in the long run. Another bad effect of having coffee is suffering from bad breath or halitosis. You are advised to eat food before drinking coffee or cleaning your tongue to get rid of such problems.
Some food items that can also stain your teeth
Apart from coffee, there are a few other food items and beverages that can lead to the formation of stains on your teeth. Here at My Dentist for Life, we believe that our task is to provide dental services and educate people about ways of maintaining oral health. As a result, we have provided a list of food items that can stain your teeth.
- Red wine
- Tomato ketchup
- Black tea
- Hard candy
- Aerated beverages such as Cola
We hope that you have now gained a better understanding of how drinking coffee can be the reason for blackish teeth. Contact My Dentist for Life if you have any further questions related to the topic. The best dentists in the Plantation area are here to help you out with every kind of assistance possible